History of Black Hawk Police Department
In 1990 citizens of the State of Colorado approved limited stakes gaming, which began October 1, 1991. Jerry Yocom, originally hired as City Marshal in 1991, became Black Hawk’s first official Police Chief when the Black Hawk Board of Alderman officially changed his title from City Marshal to Police Chief. The City of Black Hawk has had five Police Chiefs since 1991; Jerry Yocom, Arthur Hutchison, Stephen Cole, Kenneth Lloyd, and current Police Chief, Michelle Moriarty. The first Black Hawk Police Department offices were originally located in a small house on Cooper Street. They were moved in 1992 to the newly remodeled City Hall offices on Selak Street, which now serves as the City Manager's main office and the City Clerk. City Administrative offices were originally located upstairs while the police department provided services downstairs. By the end of 1992, the department had grown to 12 employees and was quickly outgrowing its new offices. In 1994, the old schoolhouse located on Church Street, originally built in 1870, was renovated to accommodate the Police Department's growth. The Police Department also added a new 911 Communications Center to handle police, fire, and ambulance calls in Black Hawk. The Police Department, now consisting of 36 employees, is still located in the historic schoolhouse located at 211 Church Street.