Community Planning & Development
The Community Planning and Development Department offers a wide range of services and is responsible for all planning and zoning activities, building permit issuance and inspections, historic Preservation, and the overall administration and management of the Conveyance Program.
Residential Exterior Paint Program
The Program preserves the architectural character of the residential properties within the Historic Residential District, provides the Property Owner with the resources and financial assistance needed to maintain the exterior paint on residential buildings, and pledges the continuation and enhancement of a functional, sustainable, healthy, and vibrant residential community. Only certain properties are eligible for the Residential Exterior Paint Program each year - the CP&D office will contact you by email and/or USPS if your home is eligible.
Exhibit A - Residential Exterior Paint Program Application
Exhibit B - Program Agreement
Communities of Black Hawk / Central City / Gilpin County
Quick Reference Meeting and Mapping Link: https://stories.opengov.com/gilpincountyco/published/lYaCB0ouQ
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has been working on updating the flood plain maps in the Gilpin County area. As a result, they have identified areas within the region as regulatory floodplains. These designations have important implications related to flood insurance requirements, flood insurance rates, obtaining federal loans, and any future sale of properties within these areas.
The preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) produced by the Colorado Water Conservation Board (CWCB) are available for public viewing at the upcoming meeting jointly hosted by Black Hawk, Central City, Gilpin County, and CWCB. The maps are a part of the Gilpin County Flood Study that has updated flood risk for Gilpin County and incorporated municipalities.
The Gilpin County Flood Study maps are the result of data development conducted in the past several years. They are also in the beginning stages of regulatory floodplain information approval and adoption by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
FEMA established an official 90-day Appeal Period for the Gilpin County Floodplain Mapping Study starting December 24, 2020.
Any interested party who wishes to appeal should present data that tend to negate or contradict FEMA's findings to the Black Hawk CP&D Department on or before February 24, 2021. CP&D will then review, consolidate any appeal data and issue a written opinion stating whether the evidence provided is sufficient to justify an official appeal by the City of Black Hawk.
Health and Safety Practices
Due to concerns related to Coronavirus COVID-19, the City of Black Hawk has established certain health and safety practices to ensure a safe working environment. Advance appointments are required to enter City facilities so we encourage the use of our online services to minimize social contact.
In an effort to facilitate contact tracing and ensure a safe working environment, all visitors to the City of Black Hawk facilities are required to sign in and out of the building or facility, wear a face covering, answer the health screening question, and have their temperature checked.
- Please call 303-582-0615 to schedule an appointment in advance of your visit to Community Planning and Development.
- Appointments are restricted to official city business.
- Personal visitors are not permitted in City of Black Hawk buildings and facilities.
During your visit
- Call designated department contact to announce your arrival so that they may greet you.
- Sign in and out for your appointment. Providing personal contact information on the sign-in log enables notification in the event of possible COVID-19 exposure.
- Health screening and hand sanitizer use required upon entry to City of Black Hawk facilities.
- Personal visitors are not permitted in the City of Black Hawk buildings and facilities.
- All visitors shall wear face coverings and maintain appropriate social distancing to the greatest extent possible while in city buildings and facilities.
- FedEx, UPS, and other deliveries, please leave packages outside office door.
Planning and Zoning
Coordinate and oversee all development activities from concept, to design, through construction, while insuring compliance with City policies and regulations. All applications related to land use are coordinated through this division.
The CP&D Department manages the Conveyance Program for the City of Black Hawk.
Please contact Russell Holt, with ATIS Elevator Inspections, LLC, to schedule annual and 5-year inspections for all conveyance types at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-241-8871
Important Documents & Resources
- Online Municipal Code
- Black Hawk City Council Planning Calendar - 2021.pdf
- Pre-Land Use Application
- Sign Permit Application
- Land Use Flow Chart
- Inspection Scheduling
- 72-Hour Recreational Vehicle Permit Application
- Miner's Mesa Storage Application and Rules
- Temporary Use Permit Application
- Roofing fact sheet - Residential
- Roofing fact sheet - commercial
- Residential Design Guidelines - August 2011
- Commercial Design Guidelines - July 2012
- Comprehensive Plan - 2020
- Albert Johnson Survey Map 1866
- Zoning Map
- Amended Gaming District Map
General Inquires Email AddressCPDInquiry@cityofblackhawk.org
All Land Use and permit fees are based on the City's Adopted Fee Schedule.
Make a CP&D Payment Online
The following holidays are observed by the City and/or our consultants, and no inspections will be performed:
|New Year's Day||Veteran's Day|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Thanksgiving Day|
|President's Day||Day after Thanksgiving|
|Memorial Day||Christmas Eve|
|Independence Day||Christmas Day|
|Labor Day||New Year's Eve|
|Columbus or Indigenous People's Day|