Building Permits and Inspections
The City of Black Hawk administers and enforces applicable building codes and regulations adopted by the City. This includes conducting plan reviews, issuing building permits and performing inspections. Complete plans are required from each discipline, combined into a single plan submittal. Please click on the links below to access applications, forms and submittal requirements.
The City of Black Hawk adopted the 2017 NEC as of July 1, 2017. All permit applications submitted after July 1,2017 are reviewed and inspected to the requirements of the 2017 NEC. Any permit application submitted or permits issued before July 1, 2017 will continue to be reviewed and inspected to the provisions of the 2014 NEC through the life of the permit.
Coronavirus Covid-19 - Health and Safety
The City requires permits for day to day work. The necessary forms can be found under IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS AND RESOURCES.
Emergency Repairs are performed as stated under the 2015 IBC – Section 105.2.1: Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency situation, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day to the building official.
The City is only accepting electronic permit submittals. More extensive submittals will require a link for the City to take the plans. Applicants can send an inquires to our general email box below.
The City will schedule Inspections, under our standard procedure, but using the following protocol:
- Everyone on site is wearing a mask.
- Everyone on the site observes social distancing of at least six feet.
- All occupants, contractors, and subcontractors must exit the inspection area and confined spaces such as construction trailers while the inspector is present.
- If these practices cannot be maintained, the inspection is terminated or canceled altogether.
Important Documents and Information:
Code Adoption Ordinance No. 2016-4
Code Amendment Ordinance 2018-2
Code Amendment Ordinance 2018-3
Free code book online access: https://codes.iccsafe.org/public/collections/I-Codes
Black Hawk Central City Sanitation District: Contact Lynn Hillary at email@example.com for Standards, Rules & Regulations
Business and Contractor Licensing
The City of Black Hawk requires that all contractors doing business in the City must hold a valid business license.
(a) The City adopts by reference the following as a primary code: International Building Code, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter set out.
(b) The City adopts by reference the following as secondary codes:
(1) International Fire Code, 2015 Edition
(2) International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter sent out
(3) International Mechanical Code, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter sent out
(4) International Plumbing Code, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter set out
(5) International Energy Conservation Code, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter sent out
(6) International Existing Building Code, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter sent out
(7) International Fuel Gas Code, 2015 Edition, with certain appendices as hereafter sent out
(8) Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous Buildings
(9) ICC/ANSI A117.1 - American National Standard – Accessible And Usable Buildings And Facilities, Most Current Edition
(10) ASME A17.1-2013/CSA B44-13 American National Standard - Safety Code For Elevators And Escalators, Most Current Edition Adopted by the State of Colorado
(11) The National Electrical Code, Most Current Edition Adopted by the State of Colorado
(c) The subject matter of the primary code and the secondary codes contained therein concerns regulations to provide minimum standards to safeguard life or limb, property and public welfare by regulating and controlling the design, construction, quality of materials, use and occupancy, location and maintenance of all buildings, structures, plumbing systems and mechanical systems in the City. Unless otherwise noted, the adoption includes all supplements to the codes.
(d) Any land use applications submitted after the effective date of this ordinance shall conform to the model codes adopted herein.
For questions, please email CPDInquiry@cityofblackhawk.org.
Building Permit Fees
All plan review and permit fees are based on the City's Adopted Fee Schedule.
Make a Building Permit Payment Online
The following holidays are observed by the City and/or our consultants, and no inspections will be performed:
|New Year's Day||Veteran's Day|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day||Thanksgiving Day|
|President's Day||Day after Thanksgiving|
|Memorial Day||Christmas Eve|
|Independence Day||Christmas Day|
|Labor Day||New Year's Eve|
|Columbus or Indigenous People's Day|